Friday, October 28, 2016

Review: Batgirl #4

Review: Batgirl #4
Submitted by: Theresa Stier, Comic News Writer
27 October 2016

Beyond Burnside: Part Four,” by Hope Larson and artist Rafael Albuquerque, is not what I was expecting. I have not read the first three comics in this series, so I'm used to Batgirl being in Gotham and working with Bruce (sometimes Nightwing). The storyline is different than the Batgirl comics I am used to reading, not just because of the absence of Dick Grayson and Bruce Wayne. I felt like it wasn't as dark as some of these comics are and I felt it was more towards young teen girl readers. This, of course, is just my opinion.

It does have multiple pages where Batgirl is involved in some action. However, I was expecting a bit more than what there was. Even though this comic wasn't for me, it wasn't a bad comic. Albuquerque sketches are great and it really does bring Batgirl to life. I hope, in the next issue, we see Batgirl back fighting in Gotham and or teaming up with Batman or Nightwing. I feel like the additions will make this storyline more appealing, at least for me. As much as I love strong female characters, which Batgirl definitely is, I do enjoy seeing the team work as well.

The Verdict: This comic wasn't for me, but that doesn't mean that it's not a good comic. It's just a bit different than Batgirl comics I have read in the past. Batgirl is drawn well and the colors are definitely eye catching. I hope to see Batman or Nightwing in the next issue. 

Follow Theresa on Twitter @Smallville0628 and @Geektified for the latest comic reviews!   

No comments:

Post a Comment